Your host YZ, a stutterer-turned-storyteller, talks about writing, podcasting, her own Rock Bottoms, and her latest situation.
My guest today is myself.
Truth be told, I’ve been wanting someone to interview me for sometime now. I know I’m good. Since I’m not quite there yet, those interview invitations have taken a tad longer than I thought to hit my inbox.
So fuck it. I had my friend from UCLA interview me after we packed three boxes of books for Goodwill.
What you’ll hear:
- What was the first few weeks/months like after she landed in LA?
- How difficult was it for her, a foreigner who doesn’t use English as her first language to survive one of the toughest screenwriting MFA program in the world?
- Where does the podcast idea come from?
- What does Rock Bottom mean to her?
- What does it take to be a writer, a podcaster?
- What skills can she apply to writing from podcasting?
- How did she conquer discomfort in the early stages of her writing and podcasting?
- How to unlearn the stuff we pick up from our culture?
- How does she deal with rejection these days?
- How did she learn English?
- How did she cure her stammering?
- What’s the goal for the podcast a year from now?
Links from the episode:
- UCLA Film School
- Trump Administration
- Howard Suber
- Old MacDonald Had a Farm
- London Bridge is Falling down
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Antonio Salieri
- Mike Tyson
- Ben Stiller
- Royal Box
Listen and subscribe to Rock Bottom with YZ:
A weekly podcast for and about anyone and everyone who has spiraled downward and doesn’t know which end is up.
PS. Click here to see ways to help #RBYZ to grow.